Move This to the Top of Your Healthcare To-Do List
It’s never too soon to start thinking about advance care planning. In fact, the sooner the better. We understand that an advance directive is one of those things that’s easy to put off, so we’ve broken it down to these steps:
- Choose a healthcare This is someone who will speak for you should you be unable to make healthcare decisions for yourself.
- Identify your values regarding Do you want “heroic measures” taken to prolong your life, for example? Or is comfort your main goal?
- Have a conversation about these values with your loved ones and your healthcare
- Complete an advance directive This helpful website includes directions and a simple form you can use: prepareforyourcare.org.
- Give copies of your advance directive to your primary care doctor and your healthcare