Advance Care Planning—Glossary of Terms
Here you can quickly access medical terms and definitions through an alphabetized listing.
Advance care planning (ACP)
This process can include:
- Choosing your health care proxy or decision maker
- Identifying your values regarding health care
- Having a conversation about these values with your loved one’s/ health care proxy
- Completing an advance directive
- Giving your Wishes to your Primary Care Physician (PCP) and your health care proxy
Advance directive (AD)
Each state regulates the use of advance directives differently.
Artificial nutrition and hydration or "tube feeding"
Cardiopulmonary resuscitation (CPR)
Do-not-resuscitate (DNR) order
Healthcare proxy/agent/decision maker
Ventilators are used when a person cannot breathe on his or her own or cannot breathe effectively enough to provide adequate oxygen to the cells of the body or rid the body of carbon dioxide.