Understanding Medicare Advantage Dental Benefits
Some people assume their Medicare plan covers dental services such as cleanings, x-rays, and fillings. But Original Medicare (Part A and Part B) covers only medically necessary dental care, and not preventive or routine services. Luckily, there are options for getting regular dental care to maintain your quality of life. A Medicare Advantage plan from SCAN, for example, offers many more benefits, like dental services, than Original Medicare.
Do all Medicare Advantage plans cover dental services?
Yes and no. All Medicare Advantage plans cover medically necessary dental care. Not all Medicare Advantage plans cover preventive and routine dental services. That’s why it’s important to compare Medicare Advantage plans to find one that fits your overall health needs, including dental care. Most Medicare Advantage plans from SCAN include dental benefits and more.
What services are covered through Medicare Advantage dental coverage?
Extra benefits like dental coverage vary from one Medicare Advantage plan to the next, but they could include dental services such as:
Preventive dental care services:
- Oral exams
- Routine cleanings
- Deep cleanings
Comprehensive dental services:
- Endodontics (root canal treatment)
- Periodontics (treatment of gum disease and oral inflammation)
- Tooth extractions
- Prosthodontics (crowns, bridges, and dentures)
How much does Medicare Advantage dental coverage cost?
The cost can vary by plan and the type of benefit they offer, with most offering either a dental allowance or dental coverage.
A dental allowance is a fixed amount that you can spend on any dental service each year. The benefit is that you decide what to spend it on—and you can go to any dentist you want. The downside is once your allowance is spent, it’s gone. And if you need additional dental care during the year, you’ll pay the full cost of that care.
While dental allowances are one approach, SCAN offers dental coverage instead. With dental coverage, you have dental benefits all year long. While you may have copayments for services, these are offered at a deep discount—and there’s no limit to the number of covered services you can get and no limit to the dollar amount the plan will cover. Most of these plans have a dental network, and you’ll choose a primary dentist from the plan’s participating network to oversee your dental care.
With SCAN, many of our Medicare Advantage plans include dental benefits at no additional premium, with preventive dental services available at no cost. And, many plans offer the option to add coverage for a monthly premium.
What additional services does Medicare Advantage cover?
A Medicare Advantage plan can cover many other services that Original Medicare doesn’t cover, including:
- Vision benefits and services: Routine vision care, including vision exam and coverage for eyeglass lenses and frames.
- Hearing benefits and services: Routine hearing care, including hearing exam and coverage for hearing aids.
- Prescription drug benefits: Medicare Advantage plans that include prescription drug coverage means there’s no need for a separate, Medicare Part D plan.
What additional services does a Medicare Advantage plan from SCAN cover?
SCAN’s Medicare Advantage plans include a range of extra benefits to help our members live their healthiest lives, including:
- 90% of the drugs our members take are available for $0
- Dental services that include preventive and/or comprehensive care
- Vision exams and eyewear
- Hearing aids
- Gym benefit with thousands of locations and online options
- Acupuncture and chiropractic coverage
- Transportation to the doctor, dentist, pharmacy
- And more
If you don’t have a Medicare Advantage plan, take a look at the benefits, comprehensive coverage, award-winning service, and more, offered by SCAN Health Plan.