What's In This Section?
To verify eligibility and benefits for VillageHealth members contact 1-877-778-7226.
Provider Claim Talking Points & FAQs
Continuous Glucose Monitor CGM FAQ
What are the CGM coverage requirements under Medicare?
CGMs are covered for members who:• Have been diagnosed with diabetes mellitus; AND
• Have had a visit within the last six (6) months with his or her prescriber;AND
• Meets at least one of the following criteria;
◦ Member is being treated with insulin; OR
◦ Member has a history of problematic hypoglycemia with documentation of at least one of the following:
▪ Recurrent (more than one) level 2 hypoglycemic events (glucose < 54mg/dL) that persists despite multiple (more than 1) attempts to adjust medications and/or the diabetes treatment plan; OR
▪ History of one level 3 hypoglycemic event (glucose < 54 mg/dL) characterized by altered mental and/or physical state requiring third-party assistance.
All coverage requests should be submitted through the member’s medical group. For Medicare coverage policies, please see Local Coverage Determination (LCD): Glucose Monitors (L33822) and Local Coverage Article: Glucose Monitor - Policy Article (A52464).
What are the differences between non-adjunctive vs. adjunctive CGMs?
Non-adjunctive CGMs can be used as a complete replacement for traditional fingerstick blood glucose testing supplies and do not require a separate blood glucose monitor (BGM) to confirm testing results.
Adjunctive CGMs must be used in conjunction with standard finger stick tests using a home BGM to confirm testing results.
Both non-adjunctive and adjunctive CGMs are considered DME.
Why is my patient’s CGM rejecting/not covered at the pharmacy?
CGM supplies are covered under the durable medical equipment (DME) benefit under Medicare. For SCAN members, DME supplies are provided by the medical group’s contracted DME supplier and are not coverable under the pharmacy benefit.
My patient previously received a fill at the pharmacy, why is their CGM refill now rejecting?
Your patient may have received a temporary fill during their first 90 days of enrollment with SCAN at the pharmacy. Known as a transition fill, this allows patients to have access to these CGM supplies while they are new to the plan. This transition fill also allows you time to request authorization (referral) from the medical group to cover and supply CGMs under the DME benefit.
Why are CGMs covered under the DME benefit and not the pharmacy benefit (Part D)?
Medicare covers CGMs under the DME benefit. For SCAN members, this benefit is managed by the medical group and will not be covered at the pharmacy. Please make sure you DO NOT send an authorization request to Express Scripts. They only manage pharmacy authorizations and will not process your request.
What are the next steps to ensure my patient receives their CGMs in a timely manner?
Submit an authorization to your patient’s medical group with the appropriate CGM DME supply codes to ensure the CGM gets covered.
Receiver (monitor), dedicated, for use with non-adjunctive glucose continuous monitor system
Freestyle Libre 14 Day System
FreeStyle Libre 2 Reader
Dexcom G5 Receiver
Dexcom G6 Receiver
Supply allowance for non-adjunctive continuous glucose monitor (CGM), includes all supplies and accessories, 1 month supply = 1 Unit of Service
FreeStyle Libre 2 Sensors
FreeStyle Libre 14 Day
Dexcom G5 Sensors
Dexcom G5 Transmitters
Dexcom G6 Sensors
Dexcom G6 Transmitters
Adjunctive continuous glucose monitor or receiver
Minimed 630G System
Minimed 670G System
Minimed 770G System
Supply allowance for adjunctive continuous glucose monitor (CGM), includes all supplies and accessories, 1 month supply = 1 unit of service
Guardian Sensor 3
Guardian Sensor 3 Kit
Guardian Transmitter 3
Guardian Transmitter 3 Kit
Enlite Sensor Kit
Commonly Used ICD-10 Diagnosis Codes (for full list refer to LCA A52464)
Type 1 diabetes mellitus without complications
Type 2 diabetes mellitus with hyperglycemia
Type 1 diabetes mellitus with hyperglycemia
Type 2 diabetes mellitus with unspecified complications
Type 2 diabetes mellitus without complications
- Documentation showing that your patient meets the criteria to use CGM supplies.
- Prescription for CGM supplies (refer to HCPCS and ICD-10 codes listed above).
- Documentation showing that your patient’s diabetes diagnosis will be re-evaluated and managed every 6 months.
- Please ensure your patients update their contact information with their local county Medi-Cal office.
- Encourage patients to complete their Medi-Cal paperwork by the due date.
- Medi-Cal does not require a payment in the application or renewal process.
- California Medi-Cal Redetermination Provider Tool Kit
Prior Authorization Information
SCAN Community Supports
(Available to Los Angeles County members only)
SCAN offers services for members who are experiencing homelessness or who are at risk of losing housing. The following services may be available to you:
- Housing Transition Navigation Services – help with finding and applying for housing
- Housing deposits – help with one-time funding of housing deposits and utility set up fees
- Housing tenancy and sustaining services – help with keeping you housed and maintain safety
- Short-term post-hospitalization housing – provide care in a facility after an inpatient hospitalization
- Recuperative care – short-term care in a medical facility after an inpatient hospitalization
Contact Member Services at 1-866-722-6725 (TTY users 711) for further details.
- Clinical Guidelines
- Clinical Pharmacy Tools
- Community Connections for Free or Reduced Cost Services
- COVID -19 Provider Information
- Drug Utilization Review and Management
- Find a Doctor
- Find Formulary Drug
- Find a Hospital
- General Code of Conduct for Use by Providers Last Modified: 12/13/2016
- General Compliance and FWA Training Courses
- General Information for Office Staff
- Health Education
- Health Equity Tip Sheet Last Modified: 1/30/2024
- High Risk Medication Alternative Table Last Modified: 9/28/2023
- Medical Policies & Procedures
- Multi Cultural Resources and Interpreter Services
- Physician Training Webinar Recording - 4/19/2023
- Provider Compliance Resources
- Provider Operations Manuals
- Provider Welcome Packet/Quick Reference Guides (QRGs)
- Quality Improvement Program
- 2023 Quality Symposium
- Report Fraud, Waste and Abuse
- SCAN Health Plan Webinar Resources
- SNP Model of Care Training
- SNP Plan Codes Last Modified: 1/16/2024
- Train the Trainer