What Do Surveys Have to Do with SCAN’s Star Rating?
Trust us, there’s a connection. Keep reading to learn about the role you play in our star rating.
For the third year running, SCAN Health Plan is one of the highest-rated Medicare Advantage plans in California for quality and value, and our members have a lot to do with that.
You may know that how well you take care of yourself has an impact on our quality rating.
- Seeing your doctor regularly,
- Getting your flu shot and other preventive care and
- taking medications as prescribed
They’re all important to your good health and are part of what Medicare looks at in the star ratings program.
But you may not know that filling out a survey counts, too.
If You Get a Survey, Don’t Ignore It!
We know you might be asked to take a lot of surveys—most of us do—but we encourage you to be on the lookout for surveys that come from Medicare, or the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS).
The Consumer Assessment of Healthcare Providers and Systems (CAHPS) survey asks questions about your experiences with different aspects of your care and how happy you are with SCAN and your doctors.
The Health Outcomes Survey (HOS) asks about your health and how it affects the things you do from day to day and your overall quality of life.
Each year, Medicare mails these surveys to just a small number of each health plans’ members. So if you receive one, it’s even more important for you to respond. Not only is it a chance for you to give your feedback, but you’re speaking on behalf of thousands of other members, too.
Concerns to Compliments, It All Helps
You don’t need to wait for a survey to let us know how we’re doing. Call Member Services whenever you have a question about your healthcare, need help using your benefits or have a problem.
Medicare looks closely at how we handle member concerns and the service we provide. It helps, too, to let us know when things are going well so we know where to focus our efforts.
Member Service Advocates are ready to help:
1-800-559-3500 (TTY: 711)
If calling outside regular hours, leave a message and we’ll return your call within one business day.
Or you can email us any time.
If you like taking surveys, we invite you to join SCANListens, our online feedback community. Click here to learn more.
Q: How do Medicare star ratings work?
Each year, Medicare looks at how well Medicare Advantage plans are taking care of their members. They measure areas ranging from preventive care to customer service. Each plan then receives a quality rating ranging from one to five stars, five being the highest.
For 2020, SCAN Health Plan received an overall star rating of 4.5 out of 5*, making it one of the highest-rated Medicare Advantage plans in California for the third year in a row.
Q: What type of things is Medicare looking at when rating plans?
Medicare measures plans in many areas, including:
- Staying healthy. Are members getting the screenings, vaccines and other preventive care needed to help them stay healthy?
- Managing chronic conditions. How often are members with chronic conditions getting the recommended tests and treatments to manage their conditions?
- Member experience. How satisfied are members with the health plan and their care?
- Member complaints. How often do members have problems with the plan? How many members have left the plan?
- Customer service. How well does the plan handle member calls, questions and concerns?
Plans like SCAN that also provide prescription drug coverage are evaluated in more areas, like whether medications are being prescribed in a way that’s safe and effective.
Q: How do star ratings impact me?
As a SCAN member, you belong to one of the highest-rated Medicare Advantage plans in California, so you can feel confident in the care and service you receive.
- The star ratings reward improvement. That means we’re always looking for ways we can do better.
- As a Medicare Advantage plan, SCAN relies on our Medicare funding to offer the benefits and services members depend on. As a not-for-profit plan, the bonus we earn from our star rating enables us to offer comprehensive benefits of real value year after year.
Q: What can I do to impact star ratings?
Take the three steps below and you’ll be helping us be the best plan for you:
- Get needed screenings and tests and follow treatment plans recommended by your doctor.
- If you receive a survey from Medicare, please respond. The CAHPS survey and HOS are two of the most common Medicare surveys.
- Let us know if you have a question, concern or compliment. If you have a problem, SCAN Member Services wants to hear about it so we can make it right. And of course, if there’s something you’re happy with, we want hear about that, too.
Star Quality Ratings Matter Because Your Healthcare Matters
Learn more about SCAN’s Star Quality here.
See the 2020 star ratings for all SCAN plans here.
* 2020 star rating applies to all plans offered by SCAN Health Plan except SCAN Healthy at Home and VillageHealth plans. Every year, Medicare evaluates plans based on a 5-star rating system.