Functional Status Assessment
Functional capacity is impacted by changes in three domains:
- Patients’ domiciles
- Patients’ physical health
- Patients’ psycho-social wellbeing
One of the earliest indicators of functional decline is the inability to perform activities of daily living (ADL).
- Be sure to ask caregivers about the patients’ ability to perform ADLs.
- Utilize physician extender to conduct ADL/IADL assessment (can be done over the phone).
- As appropriate, refer to case management, physical therapist home safety evaluation and durable medical equipment (DME).
- Include assessment as part of annual wellness visit.
1170F - Functional status assessed