To All SCAN Members Affected by Power Outages, Extreme Heat or Wildfires
- If you are experiencing a medical emergency, please call 911 or go to your nearest hospital emergency room.
- If you are having trouble accessing routine care or services due to power outages, extreme heat or wildfires, please contact your primary care doctor (listed on your SCAN ID card), or call SCAN Member Services at 1-800-559-3500 (TTY: 711) and we will help you get the care and services you need. Member Services is available 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week.
SCAN has made a series of temporary changes in response to the state-wide State of Emergency recently declared by the Governor of California due to wildfires. If you are impacted by the wildfires and are unable to access care from your regular SCAN doctors or providers, please know:
- You may receive medically necessary services from any available Medicare-certified provider or facility. This includes providers and facilities outside the medical group you’re assigned to with SCAN.
- You do not need to obtain a prior authorization from your medical group or SCAN in order to receive medically necessary services. Please be sure to use only Medicare-certified providers and facilities. You may do this by asking the provider or facility whether it participates in the Medicare Program, which it must do to be Medicare-certified.
- You will pay the same amount for receiving care from out-of-network Medicare-certified providers and facilities as you would pay for receiving the same services through your regular medical group.
- SCAN has also made temporary changes to allow members affected by these wildfires to continue to access their necessary medications.
Once the declared State of Emergency and mandatory evacuation orders in these areas are removed, the temporary changes stated above will also end. Please check the SCAN website regularly for updates during this time.
SCAN Health Plan is committed to supporting our members, beneficiaries, providers and communities. We are sorry for any loss or hardship you and your family may be experiencing.
Please contact Member Services at 1-800-559-3500 (TTY users should call 711) for more information.
Member Services hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week through March 31.
Updated: October 28, 2019