The novel coronavirus, which causes the flu-like disease known as COVID-19, prompted the Governor of California to declare a State of Emergency on March 4 for all of California.
Here’s what you need to know.
FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH NEEDS
- If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
- If you have cold or flu-like symptoms, call your doctor’s office for guidance.
- If you need urgent care for other issues or conditions, most SCAN plans include a Telehealth benefit. This “virtual” doctor visit can be a good option to an in-person visit. Click here for more information.
- For all other care needs, contact your doctor’s office as you normally would.
ABOUT YOUR SCAN BENEFITS
SCAN has made some temporary changes as a result of the State of Emergency in California.
If your regular SCAN doctors are not available due to issues related to COVID-19, you may receive medically necessary services from any available Medicare-certified provider or facility, including those outside the medical group you’re assigned to with SCAN.
If you do need to get care outside of your medical group with SCAN, please keep these things in mind:
- Use only Medicare-certified providers and facilities. Be sure to ask if a provider or facility participates in the Medicare Program.
- Any costs of care will be the same during this time.
- You do not need to get prior authorization from your medical group or SCAN.
- For prescription medications, please contact your pharmacy.
Once the declared State of Emergency in California ends, the temporary changes noted above will also end. Please check the SCAN website for updates during this time.
FOR COVID-19 INFORMATION AND UPDATES
Please refer to these websites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) website
- Your own county’s department of Public Health: find it here
Questions about your benefits? Call SCAN Member Services at 1-800-559-3500 (TTY: 711).
Member Services hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week through March 31, 2020. Starting April 1, hours will be 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Updated: March 6, 2020