Declared State of Emergency in California due to Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19)
The novel coronavirus, which causes the flu-like disease known as COVID-19, prompted the Governor of California to declare a State of Emergency on March 4 for all of California.
Here’s what you need to know.
FOR YOUR OWN HEALTH NEEDS
- If you are experiencing a medical emergency, call 911 or go to your nearest emergency room.
- Please continue to contact your SCAN doctor’s office as you normally would to receive care.
- If you have cold or flu-like symptoms, call your SCAN doctor’s office for guidance.
- Most SCAN plans also include a Telehealth benefit. This “virtual” doctor visit can be a good option to an in-person visit. Click here for more information.
ABOUT YOUR SCAN BENEFITS
SCAN has made temporary changes in response to these declared States of Emergency in California.
If your regular SCAN doctors or medical group are not available due to issues related to COVID-19, you may receive medically necessary covered services from any available Medicare-certified provider or facility, including those outside the medical group to which you’re assigned with SCAN. Please make reasonable efforts to access care from your SCAN doctors and medical group as they are best suited to provide your healthcare needs.
If you need to access care outside of your medical group with SCAN for medically necessary covered services, please keep these things in mind:
- Use only Medicare-certified providers and facilities. Be sure to confirm that a provider or facility participates in the Medicare Program before receiving care.
- Any costs of care will be the same as if you received the care from your SCAN doctors during this time.
- You do not need to get prior authorization from your medical group or SCAN.
- For prescription medications, please contact your pharmacy.
- Please remember that you should only seek access to non-emergent care outside your medical group if your SCAN doctors are not available to provide for your healthcare needs due to COVID-19.
Once the declared States of Emergency in California end, the temporary changes noted above will also end. Please check the SCAN website for updates during this time.
FOR COVID-19 INFORMATION AND UPDATES
Please refer to these websites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) website
- California Department of Public Health (CDPH) website
- Your own county’s department of Public Health: find it here
Questions about your benefits? Call SCAN Member Services at (800) 559-3500 TTY: 711.
Member Services hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., seven days a week from October 1 to March 31. From April 1 to September 30, hours are 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., Monday through Friday.
Updated: November 9, 2020