We are lucky to have so many medicines today. They can help you cure and manage many serious illnesses. But powerful medicines can also be strong enough to hurt you if not used the right way. Here are some tips to help you.
- Take your medicines with you to every doctor visit. Include herbs, vitamins and over-the counter ones too. This will help the doctor make the best treatment plan for you.
- Try to use the same pharmacy for all prescriptions. When the pharmacist knows all your medicines it is easier to check for conflicts and duplications.
- Read the entire the label. Ask for large print if the label is hard to read.
- Check that the label has your name on it.
- Check that it is the drug name and dose your doctor prescribed.
- Be sure you know when and how to take it.
- If you have any questions or are unsure what to do, ask the pharmacist before you leave.
- Always take medicines exactly as the directions say. If you can’t follow them, let your doctor know right away.
- Talk with your doctor or pharmacist
- If you have any questions
- If you have side-effects that bother you
- If there is a reason you cannot follow the directions
- If you have trouble swallowing pills
- If you can not afford the medicine
- Plan when you will take your medicine each day. Having a routine makes it easier to remember.
- Click here for a chart to track the medicines you are taking. Take it along to discuss with your doctor at your next visit.
For more medicine tips .